It originated in 1918, on the Genipapo plantation in Timbaúba, where Manoel Caetano Pereira de Queiroz had founded his factory, also calling it Genipapo.
As the machinery was bad and caused losses, its founder formed a society with Jáder de Andrade called Andrade, Queiroz & Cia and created the Cruangi factory to replace the Genipapo factory.
In 1921, Júlio Perfeito da Costa Queiroz, Jáder de Andrade, Hugo de Andrade, Antônio Vicente de Andrade and João de Andrade Sobrinho were appointed to the board of the factory.
In 1929 the factory had the capacity to process 400 tonnes of sugarcane and produce 2,000 litres of sugarcane alcohol in 22 hours, and possessed 12 kilometres of railroads, 2 locomotives and 42 wagons that transported the sugarcane and firewood. The sugar and alcohol were also transported by Great Western.
In the milling period, there were around 100 workers at the factory. It also had a workers’ village, a doctor, supplied medicine and ran a school with an average annual attendance of 270 students.
Júlio Perfeito was the factory’s director until 1974, a time when the society was transformed into the Usina Cruangi Sociedade Anônima (Cruangi Factory Anonymous Society). It was then directed by Fernando Queiroz and, nowadays, its president is José Guilherme Queiroz.
Recife, 7 August 2003.
(Updated on 9 September 2009).
Translated by Peter Leamy, March 2011.
ANDRADE, Manuel Correia de. História das usinas de açúcar de Pernambuco. Recife: Fundaj, Ed. Massangana, 1989. 114 p. (República, v.1).
GONÇALVES & SILVA. O assucar e o algodão em Pernambuco. Recife: [s.n.], 1929. 90 p.
MOURA, Severino. Senhores de engenho e usineiros, a nobreza de Pernambuco. Recife: Fiam, CEHM, Sindaçúcar, 1998. 320 p. (Tempo municipal, 17).
how to quote this text
Source: GASPAR, Lúcia. Cruangi Sugarcane Factory. Pesquisa Escolar On-Line, Joaquim Nabuco Foudation, Recife. Available at: <http://basilio.fundaj.gov.br/pesquisaescolar/>. Accessed: day month year. Exemple: 6 Aug. 2009.