Situated in the municipality of Ribeirão, it was founded in 1888 by Leocádio Alves Pontual. It remained under the ownership of his descendants until it was bought by the brothers Mário and Armando de Queiroz Monteiro.
It had, in 1929, nine fields and innumerable suppliers. It had a capacity to process 400 tonnes of sugarcane and produce 3,000 litres of ethanol in 22 hours, a 60km-long railway, five locomotives and 125 wagons with a capacity of 3 tonnes.
In the milling period, approximately 300 workers were employed at the factory. It had a large operating village and maintained a school with an annual average attendance of 40 students.
Between 1964 and 1965, it was annexed by the Cucaú sugarcane factory and transformed into the CAPRI - Companhia Agropecuária de Ribeirão (Riberão Livestock Company) – cattle farm, where milking cows and mangalarga horses are raised, and where there is a field for experimental cultures of sugarcane varieties.
Recife, 6 August 2003.
(Updated on 9 September 2009).
Translated by Peter Leamy, January 2012.
ANDRADE, Manuel Correia de. História das usinas de açúcar de Pernambuco. Recife: FJN. Ed. Massangana, 1989. 114 p. (República, v.1)
GONÇALVES & SILVA, O assucar e o algodão em Pernambuco. Recife: [s.n.], 1929. 90 p.
MOURA, Severino. Senhores de engenho e usineiros, a nobreza de Pernambuco. Recife: Fiam, CEHM, Sindaçúcar, 1998. 320 p. (Tempo municipal, 17
how to quote this text
Source: GASPAR, Lúcia. Aripibú Sugarcane Factory. Pesquisa Escolar Online, Joaquim Nabuco Foudation, Recife. Available at: <https://pesquisaescolar.fundaj.gov.br/en/>. Accessed: day month year. Exemple: 6 Aug. 2009