Orange Lighthouse, Amapá
Article available in: PT-BR
Last update: 05/01/2017
Due to lack of funds and on the grounds that the coastal navigation in the northeast Amazon was far from the coast, the first records of Orange Lighthouse date back to 1947. It is located in Oiapoque, Amapá.
After the League of Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea in the 1920s, the presence of a lighthouse near Cape Orange was regarded as very important, because in addition to supporting navigation, it would act as an important landmark indicating the jurisdictional limits of Brazilian waters.
The site chosen for the lighthouse, however, had many obstacles to its construction: the land was marshy, making it difficult to unload material; there was a predominance of mangroves (with roots of almost two metres); and it was situated in an equatorial forest, being a truly inhospitable environment for architectural projects.
Because of these obstacles, one of the base stakes had to be set 80 metres deep. The Orange Lighthouse has a 50-metre tower made of metal caissons, and it took 11 months of uninterrupted labour to build.
On it is a bronze plaque which reads:
This lighthouse, named Orange, geographically marks the northern limit of the contribution of the Navy of Brazil to the security of our coast navigation. Its light shows our sovereignty and the vigilant Brazilian presence in the remote Amazonian shores belonging to Brazil.
Recife, 11 May 2004.
(Updated 25 March 2008).
Translated by Peter Leamy, October 2016.
SIQUEIRA, Ricardo. Luzes do novo mundo: história dos faróis brasileiros . Fotos Ricardo Siqueira; texto Ney Dantas. Rio de Janeiro: Edição do Autor, 2002.
how to quote this text
Source: VAINSENCHER, Semira Adler. Farol Orange, AP. Pesquisa Escolar Online, Fundação Joaquim Nabuco, Recife. Disponível em: <http://basilio.fundaj.gov.br/pesquisaescolar/>. Acesso em: dia mês ano. Ex: 6 ago. 2009.