Aliança (alliance) Sugarcane Factory
Article available in: PT-BR
Last update: 26/09/2013
It is situated in the north of the municipality of Aliança, at an altitude of 68 metres, on the left bank of the Siriji River.
Its owners were Pessoa de Melo & Co. (Belarmino and Walfredo Pessoa de Mello) and Carlos Pessoa de Mello and sons.
In 1929, there were twelve fields that produced around 30,000 tonnes of sugarcane and the capacity to process 500 tonnes in 22 hours.
During the milling period there were 200 workers. It maintained a school with an annual average of 40 students attending. The most commonly-cultivated varieties of sugarcane were ‘butter’ and demerara.
It had a 38km-long railway, with a connection to the Great Western line, four locomotives and 65 wagons and freight cars.
The most-commonly cultivated varieties of sugarcane cultivated were ‘butter’ and Demerara. Transportation of the sugarcane and firewood was through its railway and the sugar and ethanol was through the Great Western line.
Today the factory is disused.
Recife, 6 August 2003.
(Updated on 9 September 2009).
Translated by Peter Leamy, January 2012.
ANDRADE, Manuel Correia de. História das usinas de açúcar de Pernambuco. Recife: FJN. Ed. Massangana, 1989. 114 p. (República, v.1)
GONÇALVES & SILVA, O assucar e o algodão em Pernambuco. Recife: [s.n.], 1929. 90 p.
how to quote this text
ource: GASPAR, Lúcia. Aliança (alliance) Sugarcane Factory. Pesquisa Escolar Online, Joaquim Nabuco Foudation, Recife. Available at: <https://pesquisaescolar.fundaj.gov.br/en/>. Accessed: day month year. Exemple: 6 Aug. 2009.