Encruzilhada (neighbourhood, Recife)
Article available in: PT-BR
Last update: 04/01/2017
The name of Encruzilhada [Crossroads] is due to the fact that it was where the trains coming from Recife, Beberibe and Olinda whistled and crossed. In 1915, the trains were replaced by electric trams of Pernambuco Tramways.
In the locality was a corral where the trains that came from the interior of the state of Pernambuco laden with bovines and pigs were unloaded. The animals spent some time in this corral to fatten, and were then sent to the Peixinhos Slaughterhouse via the Estrada de Belém.
In 1927, a small aircraft – the Jahú – came from Italy to Brazil with a stopover at Fernando de Noronha. Its crew were Ribeiro de Barros, Cinquini, Newton Braga and Captain Negrão. Recife offered a week of grand receptions to the aviators, and an eight-metre-high monument was erected in Encruzilhada, in honour of the crew of the aircraft: a Doric column with a globe on its top and an eagle above it. At the bottom of the column was the following:
Raid Genova-Santos. To the heroic crew of JAHÚ, homage from the people of Encruzilhada. Recife, 25-9-1927.
Today, one of the most frequented places in the neighbourhood is the Mercado da Encruzilhada [market] because it is possible to find almost everything there: fruits and vegetables, fish, poultry, beef and pork, as well as other foods and products.
Construction of the Market began in March 1924. The building contained 162 stalls with a floor of granite cobblestones set on asphalt. The walls of the stalls for selling meat were lined with tiles (up to a certain height), complying to the official rules of hygiene of the time.
Subsequently, urbanisation works were carried out in front of the Market. In 1951, there was a restructuring of the building. Among other improvements, administration rooms were built (on the upper floor).
At the end of the 1940s, the district had a Public Library administered by the Recife City Council with many technical and didactic books, national and foreign periodicals, and a large contingent of users.
Several decades ago, in the months of October, November, December and January, a large number of people converged on Encruzilhada, transported by maxambombas [trains] and then by trams, in order to participate in their famous Pastoril [Shepherd’s Festival]. This Christmas festival in canvas tents was important because of the beauty of its shepherdesses and especially for the presence of the mulatto Herotildes. There was much excitement around the tents with the sale of traditional food and drinks.
At Largo da Encruzilhada today is the intersection of the important avenues João de Barros and Beberibe, Estrada de Belém and streets José María and Castro Alves.
Recife, 24 July 2003.
(Updated on 22 November 2007).
Translated by Peter Leamy, October 2016.
BOLETIM DA CIDADE E DO PORTO DO RECIFE, Recife, n.19-34, jan./dez. 1946-1949.
CAVALCANTI, Carlos Bezerra. O Recife e seus bairros. Recife: Câmara Municipal do Recife, 1998.
DOCUMENTÁRIO de uma administração: governo Barbosa Lima Sobrinho - fevereiro, 1948, janeiro, 1951. [Recife, 1951?]
FRANCA, Rubem. Monumentos do Recife: estátuas e bustos, igrejas e prédios, lápides, placas e inscrições históricas do Recife. Recife: Secretaria de Educação e Cultura, 1977.
GALVÃO, Sebastião de Vasconcellos. Diccionario chorografico, histórico e estatístico de Pernambuco. Rio de Janeiro: Imprensa Nacional, 1908. 4 v.
MERCADO da Encruzilhada. Revista de Pernambuco, Recife, ano. 1, n. 2, ago. 1924. (Não paginada) .
how to quote this text
Source: VAINSENCHER, Semira Adler. Encruzilhada (Bairro, Recife). Pesquisa Escolar Online, Fundação Joaquim Nabuco, Recife. Disponível em: <http://basilio.fundaj.gov.br/pesquisaescolar/>. Acesso em: dia mês ano. Ex: 6 ago. 2009.