Imagem card

Church of Nossa Senhora do Amparo [Our Lady of Amparo], Olinda, PE

In the church is the Goiana Museum of Sacred Art, which holds more than 4,000 pieces from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
 

Church of Nossa Senhora do Amparo [Our Lady of Amparo], Olinda, PE

Article available in: PT-BR

Last update: 15/10/2015

By: Semira Adler Vainsencher - N/I

Located in Largo do Amparo, in Olinda, the Church of Our Lady of Amparo was built in 1613 by the Brotherhood of Our Lady of the Amparo of the Black Men. Curiously, its members wore a black habit with a white hood.

Less than two decades after it was built, the building was destroyed by a fire started by the Dutch (in 1631). However, because it was one of the most traditional Catholic temples, it was rebuilt in 1644. Reconstruction continued until the late 18th century, when the chapel, main altar, side altars and lining were duly decorated in Baroque style.

The temple, however, has never been completed in its entirety: there is a single lateral corridor to the nave on the side of the pulpit. On the other hand, this construction differs from the other Olinda churches, since it has more lateral altars.

To this day covered by a wooden slat, 17th-century tiles can be found inside. The baroque images in the temple exalt sacred art, being of great cultural value. In turn, the beautiful golden carvings on its altars stand out.

In 1795, the inhabitants of Olinda, for love and faith to the Virgin of Amparo and with donations and voluntary work, built the bell tower, the façade with a single tower and the stone doorway. Above it they placed an artistic coat of arms with the insignia of Our Lady to complement the architectural beauty.

In the church is the Goiana Museum of Sacred Art, which holds more than 4,000 pieces from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.

Scholars call attention to the choir windows with glazed leaves, the frontispiece with a circular arch cornice, and the Baroque influence of the pediment cast by a niche and with pinnacles in the form of torches.

The temple is set amidst a beautiful colonial setting, surrounded by 18th-century houses and townhouses. Its great preacher was the chronicler Friar Manuel Calado, popularly known as Frei Manuel dos Óculos [Friar Manuel with Glasses].


  
Recife, 20 November 2003.
(Updated on 22 November 2007).
Translated by Peter Leamy, November 2016.

sources consulted

BARBOSA, Antônio. Relíquias de Pernambuco. São Paulo: Ed. Fundo Educativo Brasileiro, 1983.

FRANCA, Rubem. Monumentos do Recife. Recife: Secretaria de Educação e Cultura, 1977.

GUERRA, Flávio. Velhas igrejas do Recife, Olinda e Igarassu. [Recife?: s.n.], [196?].

_________. Velhas igrejas e subúrbios históricos. Recife: Fundação Guararapes, 1970.

MENEZES, José Luiz da Mota. O Recife e as construções religiosas. Arrecifes: Revista do Conselho Municipal de Cultura, Recife, ano 3, n. 2, p. 27-31, 1987.

MUELLER, Bonifácio. Olinda e suas igrejas; esboço histórico. Recife: Livraria Pio XII, 1945.

SILVA, Leonardo Dantas. Pernambuco preservado. Recife, 2002.

how to quote this text

Fonte: VAINSENCHER, Semira Adler. Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Amparo, Olinda, PE. Pesquisa Escolar Online, Fundação Joaquim Nabuco, Recife. Disponível em: <https://pesquisaescolar.fundaj.gov.br/en/>. Acesso em: dia  mês ano. Ex: 6 ago. 2009.